Chilli Paneer gravy is one of the most popular indo-Chinese dish. It is an easy and flavorful recipe which can be served with rice or noodles. It can be made with homemade as well as store brought paneer but I prefer homemade paneer for a soft juicy texture. In this dish, paneer is coated with a corn flour mixture and fried but you can avoid this step if you want to keep it healthier. Also, this can be made vegan by using tofu instead of paneer. Vegetable stock is generally used for making gravy but you can also add water in place of stock.
In addition to green capsicum, you can also use red bell peppers for more color and crunchiness in the dish. Avoid cooking onion and capsicum too much to keep the crunchiness intact. You can adjust the amount of corn flour and water to get the desired consistency of gravy.
PREPARATION TIME– 16-20 Minutes
COOKING TIME – 15 Minutes
COURSE- Main Course
- PANEER – 300 Gms
- OIL-4-5 Tbsp.
- CORNFLOUR-4 Tbsp.
- CAPSICUM- 2 Medium (Thickly sliced)
- ONION- 2 (Thickly Sliced)
- GARLIC- 3-4 cloves chopped
- GREEN CHILLI-2 (Finely Chopped)
- VEGETABLE STOCK/WATER- 1 Cup
- SOY SAUCE- 1 Tbsp.
- CHILLI SAUCE – ½ Tbsp.
- TOMATO SAUCE – 1 Tbsp.
- WHITE VINEGAR-1 Tbsp.
- SALT- To Taste
- BLACK PEPPER POWDER- ½ Tbsp.
- SPRING ONION GREEN/ SCALLION- To Garnish
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan.
- Cut paneer into medium sized cubes.
- Prepare corn flour batter by mixing 2 tbsp. corn flour with a pinch of salt, pepper and little water.
- Coat paneer cubes in batter and shallow fry in the heated oil on medium flame.
- Fry the paneer cubes until crispy and keep them aside.
- Wash and Cut vegetables according to mentioned size.
STEPS TO COOK –
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan at medium flame.
- Once the oil is heated add chopped garlic and green chilly.
- Now add onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add Capsicum and sauté for 2 minute.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Add soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato sauce and vinegar.
- Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 2tbsp in one cup of water/stock and add.
- When the gravy begins to boil, add paneer and stir well.
- Cook for 2 minutes on slow flame.
- Garnish with green onion scallions and serve.
COOKING TIPS –
- For a healthier recipe, skip the frying of paneer and add directly to the gravy.
- Always cook on medium to high flame for more flavor and aroma.
- Add schezwan sauce for extra spiciness.
HEALTH TIPS –
- Always check ingredients of your soy sauce and avoid the ones with MSG in it.
- Soy sauce is high in sodium so use it in moderation in your diet.